Monday, February 2, 2009

Germination of Honey Mesquite (Prosopis glandulosa) Seeds



The dense, sweet seed pods each contain a number of seeds (up to 15 or 20). I broke open the pods with pliers and found that each seed was contained within an individual pod, which I also broke open with pliers. The seeds themselves have very hard coats. Since mesquite seeds germinate best at high temperatures, I will wait another month or more before I plant them.

I found the following info on the Internet:

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vrosite.nsf/pages/invasive_mesquite

http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/sculptor/8.htm

Although scarification is not necessary, it will speed germination. Best germination is at 29 degrees C (84 degrees F). The seeds must be fully covered with soil - .25 inch is recommended.

To make flour from the pods: dry them thoroughly in sun or oven until they are brittle, then run the whole pods through a mill - the seeds themselves will go through whole, so the flour will have to be sifted to get the seeds out before using it in bread or porridge or pancakes.

I found a book about mesquite trees -- looks like I'm not the only one who thinks it's a wonderful tree. Unfortunately, the cost of the book is $121 on amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment