Monday, February 23, 2009

Another Way to Fight Off a Cold



I just received this advice from my brother: on the day when the very first symptoms appear, wear a surgical mask when you sleep. This will slightly raise the temperature of the respiratory tract, making it impossible for the virus to replicate. The person my brother got this tip from has not had a cold in 20 years, and my brother says he's had cold symptoms three times since learning this, has used the mask each time, and has not developed a full-blown cold.

Makes sense to me -- I shall definitely give it a try next time I feel a cold coming on. In fact, I already have some lovely washable and reusable silk masks that I wear when there's lots of pollen or mold spores in the air, and when I'm outside in cold weather. In fact, it's just occurred to me that when I was wearing the silk comfort mask every night, I never got a cold. I had stopped using it temporarily, because the elastic had stretched out, and I did not want to take the time to replace the elastic or order a new mask. Big mistake!

Here's a link to the website where you can buy one of these masks:
http://www.icanbreathe.com/

The photos are from the website. I often use the mask when I'm working in the garden. Looks a bit weird (my husband, the very famous and hilariously witty novelist, critic, futurist and polymath Dr. Damien Broderick, says it makes me look like a puppy -- a cute one, of course), but it surely keeps me breathing easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment