Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tortilla Soup




Corn tortilla Chips (made from non-GM corn -- see Seeds of Deception)
Olive Oil
Diced tomatoes to taste
Shallots or onions to taste
Garlic to taste
Chile (poblano, jalapeno, etc) to taste
Cooked chicken and broth
Sliced avocado
Cretan oregano
Lime
Salt to taste

Ideally, cilantro should be used for flavor, but the summer heat has killed mine, and I have not gotten around to planting more. I used some cretan oregano to give the soup more flavor; common oregano would also be good.


  1. Make chicken broth; remove bones and cut meat into small pieces
  2. Add diced tomatoes (I prefer my tortilla soup not to be overpowered by the tomatoes, so I only use one or two; other people prefer to use lots of tomato)
  3. Chop challot and garlic and cook in olive oil until tender; add to soup
  4. When the soup is hot and ready to serve, put tortilla chips in a bowl, and pour the soup over them. Garnish with avocado slices.
  5. Squeeze lime juice into the soup just before eating it.

With a piece of cheese on the side, this makes a complete meal.

·        
                


I


Ol

1 comment: