Saturday, January 10, 2009

Turnip Green and Sweet Potato Soup

This is adapted from a recipe that called for adding sugar and then cooking the hell out of the greens. I am trying to limit my intake of refined sugar, and I had a sweet potatoes that I harvested in October, so I substituted the sweet potatoes for sugar. In order to prevent overcooking the greens, I added them last, after all the other ingredients were done.

INGREDIENTS

Mild flavored legume such as white, Anazazi, pinto, or cream peas (turnip greens are a winter-time crop in central Texas, so there are no fresh legumes other than baby fava beans and dried beans. I did not think fava beans would taste right in this recipe, so I used dried pintos. I rinsed, soaked, and cooked them until tender before adding them to the soup)
Fresh turnip greens, chopped - about 2 cups
Chicken broth - a couple of pints
a couple of slices of pork or lean bacon
a bulb onion, chopped
a couple of Irish potatoes, chopped
a couple of sweet potatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic
fresh herbs (thyme, marjoram, rosemary)
salt and black pepper to taste

Make the chicken broth and strain it through a fine sieve. Add Irish potatoes and sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, and cooked beans, or fresh uncooked beans if they are available. Cook until everything is tender. Add the chopped greens and herbs and cook for just a few minutes so that the greens are bright green. If they start losing their bright color, you've cooked them for too long and need to remove them from the heat immediately. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment