Sunday, July 13, 2008

What's Blooming Today

Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit)

Coral Vine (Antiginon leptopus)

Impatiens

Echinacea

Chives

Oregano (all kinds)

Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnus)

Morning glory

Mutabilis Rose (China rose)

Madame Alfred Carriere (noisette rose)

Knockout Rose (hybrid tea)

A few other hybrid teas, just barely (the blooms get crispy and ugly within a day of fully opening, but they can be cut as buds and brought into the house, where they will open and last for a while)

miniature roses - all varieties

Zinnias - all varieities

Ruellia

Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans)

Blush Noisette rose - I'd highly recommend this "antique rose" (developed in 1817) for gardeners with hot summers. It keeps blooming throughout the summer. Mid-fall is the heaviest blooming time in my garden. It's pretty much pest-resistant, though it does get light infestations of black spot in the spring and fall if there is a long rainy period.

Perennial Phlox Texas Superstar 'John Fanick' - beautiful, fragrant, loves hot weather (Phlox paniculata)

Vinca minor

sunflowers of all kinds

canna lily

crinum - genus Amaryllidaceae, don't know the variety. I got the original bulbs around 12 years ago from an elderly neighbor who'd been growing them for many years in her garden here in Lockhart. They seem to thrive in any kind of soil. I've grown them in Lockhart, San Antonio, and also in my garden in the sand hills, where they've naturalized. The ones that are blooming now are dusky pink. There's also one with spiderly white bloom. I think it may be Crinum purpurascens.

day lily - I can't keep up with all the different varieties, so I don't know which ones are blooming now.

Butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii)

four o'clocks

althea hibiscus (Rose of Sharon)

Plumbago (Plumbago auriculata)

Cenizo (Leucophyllum frutescens) - It rained a bit over the past week, and the Cenizos are covered with lavender blooms. Very pretty, especially with the silver-leaved variety.

Did I mentioned cedar sage? (Salvia roemeriana) The hardest part of listing What's Blooming is that every time I go out in the garden I notice something I forgot to include.















3 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in for bloom day. I hear its hot and dry in Texas, so I admire you for having all those blooms.

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Blog, I think I want to find me, I will tell my other friends, on all

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the information, I may have different views, but I do think this is good BLOG!
    netting

    ReplyDelete